31 August 2009

Inglourious Basterds Redux - The Grace Paley Connection

I return briefly to Inglourious Basterds to illustrate further the genius that permeates even the smallest details of Tarantino's work.

There's an insignificant scene showcasing Tarantino's literary prowess:
Brigdet Von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger):  There have been two recent developments regarding Operation Kino. One, the venue has been changed from the Ritz to a much smaller venue.
Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt):   Enormous changes at the last minute? That's not very "Germatic."

It's a malapropism line played for laughs, but buried within is a reference to Jewish-American short story writer Grace Paley (who recently died) and her famous book, Enormous Changes At The Last Minute, hence the added meaning of not being very "Germatic." Ha-ha!
Brilliant stuff, Quentin.   

1 comment:

  1. Hey buddy brah,

    I managed to catch the film this weekend with a friend from LA. I entered the theater with a sack full of candy and left on the verge of an emotional breakdown. Without a doubt, QT's most powerful film for me.

    Walking out of the theater, I knew the movie was great but literally vowed to never watch it again. A couple days later, I don't know if that will hold. I think I'll have to watch it two of three more times before I make up my mind.

    ReplyDelete